Laser dentistry is incredibly versatile and plays an important role in a growing number of common dental procedures. Though laser dentistry is most notably associated with cosmetic treatments, it is equally effective for preventative purposes.
Here are some of the other benefits associated with laser dentistry:
- Faster healing and tissue regeneration.
- Reduced bleeding during and after treatment.
- Reduced need for stitches and sutures.
- Reduced risk of bacterial infections after procedures.
Here are some of the ways that dental lasers can be used:
- Reshaping soft tissue – Dental lasers can reshape soft tissue to make “gummy smiles” more attractive, and remove uncomfortable soft tissue folds caused by denture wear.
- Frenectomy – Lasers can improve speech and the feeding habits of babies, children and adults by untying the tongue.
- Desensitization – Lasers can provide immediate, long term relief to sensitive teeth.
- Periodontal Therapy- Lasers can be used to help in the treatment of periodontal disease.
How are laser procedures performed?
Here at Talmadge Family Dental, we use the DEKA CO2 laser.
The laser beam is extremely bright, and special glasses will be provided to protect the eyes. The dentist will then direct the beam at the affected area and carefully treat the soft tissue
The procedure will take far less time than conventional methods, and cause far less anxiety and discomfort.